Saturday, December 8, 2012

La Palma night 1

As part of the occulting galaxies project with Bill Keel, we've been asking for follow-up time on various mid-sized telescopes (3 to 4m mirror, a 2m will do in a pinch). The idea is to improve on the depth of the SDSS images these were so nicely identified in by the GalaxyZoo volunteers.

So this week I have a run of 5 dark (!) nights on the William Herschel Telescope on La Palma.
Flew in yesterday, crashed, met fun other astronomers, went up to the telescope, sat in on the ongoing night of observations, looked at the coming cloud cover (blerg is the official term I believe) and
crashed again.

Tonight is the first night of real observing for my run, even if that means I may be staring at clouds the whole time. Plan B is to finish plots and write-up for a bunch of papers to I will keep busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment