Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Visit to STSCI

This week I got to visit STSCI, one of the most formative places for my scientific career. The idea that science is for everyone, data should be available and easily accessible, my philosophy on working with students etc etc all can be traced for a large part to my 6 years (2000-2003 and 2005-2008) I spent there.


It was a very warm welcome. It was ridiculously good to see so many science collaborators and friends. All of whom have of course not aged a bit and are still very much amazing.


I had to endure some genteel ribbing about not taking the job there 5 years ago. Fair enough. And I had to remind me that the giddy atmosphere has a lot to do with the ridiculous good performance of JWST after a flawless launch and that I was the second in-person speaker. People were happy to see me and just happy to see each other and science together. 


So I am planning a second visit where I can calibrate the emotional vibe of this one. 


I tallied up all the stuff kicked around. A dozen paper ideas (not all are going to make it because there is only so much time in the day) and half a dozen telescope proposal ideas for the coming year. Oh yes, sciencing in person is frikkin awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment