Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Writing

I had a student come up to me and we ended up chatting about writing assignments. He was doing the same what I heard enough in college "when am I going to use this skill in the real world?"

All the time.

I can now confidently say 90% of my job is creative writing/editing to some degree of creativity (minimum is grant reports, maximum creativity is for expense reports ;)
But nearly all is creative stuff. This is why I have been mildly jealous of those in science who could write well. Not just sufficient but with clarity and, my favorite, brevity.

At this stage I would be happy to write okay and fast. Faster at any rate.
I want those grant proposals written, the homework and exams, oh and finish that paper, and edit that student's paper.

It never ends though. Keep truckin.

No comments:

Post a Comment